The Mostly Mellow Player

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Inspirational Post

I know that for most of you this is an old quote, mainly because I've posted it so many times in different places but it just never get's old(except in the literal sense, but don't think about that). Today I was reminded of it as I was doing some sketches in the park and later during some twitter conversations and figured it's time to repost it once again.

"Drawing a good figure doesn’t make you a good artist. I can name you ten men, right off the bat, who draw better than I do. But I don’t think their work gets as much response as mine. I can’t think of a better man to draw Dick Tracy than Chester Gould, who certainly is no match for Leonardo Da Vinci. But Chester Gould told the story of Dick Tracy. He told the story of Dick Tracy the way it should have been told. No other guy could have done it. It’s not in the draftsmanship, it’s in the man.

Like I say, a tool is dead. A brush is a dead object. It’s in the man.

If you want to do, you do it. If you think a man draws the type of hands that you want to draw, steal ‘em. Take those hands.

The only thing I can say is: Caniff was my teacher, Alex Raymond was my teacher, even the guy who drew Toonerville Trolley was my teacher. Whatever he had stimulated me in some way. And I think that’s all you need. You need that stimulation. Stimulation to make you an individual. And the draftsmanship, hang it. If you can decently: learn to control what you can, learn to control what you have, learn to refine what you have. Damn perfection. You don’t have to be perfect. You are never going to do a Sistine Chapel unless someone ties you to a ceiling. Damn perfection!

All a man has in this field is pressure. And I think the pressure supplies a stimulation. You have your own stresses, that will supply your own stimulation. If you want to do it, you’ll do it. And you’ll do it anyway you can."
-Jack "The King" Kirby

Remember that in WHATEVER you're doing this applies to pretty much everything in life.


 Much Love !

No comments:

Post a Comment